Unshelved

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

two Are you wi' me or agin me?

I watched the Library 2.0 video of the guy with incredibly broad shoulders-Andre the Giant of the library world. I kept wondering-is that the couch behind him or his shoulders? Well they moved when he moved so I guess they belonged to him.

Stephen Abrams Vice-President of Innovations at SirsiDynix. Just that bit of information is dizzying. But what does SirsiDynix mean? I looked (online) for the basis of the name but couldn't find it, although I didn't throw myself into it. What I did see is that SirsiDynix is a gigantic technology company that specializes in products for libraries. It is a business.

Library 2.0? I guess I know what I'm supposed to say. This is an exciting time for libraries! Embrace technology! Get out of the road! But really many of the concepts seemed forced, like an abstract verbal shell game. I can be barraged by images and facts through the media and online at home, at work, and at school. To focus primarily on the electronic, the parade of ones and zeroes that have no real substance, could turn libraries into cold, empty, and antiquated shells. Instead, libraries should be safe and welcoming gathering places for people and ideas; physical places where imagination and opportunity meet refuge and reflection.

My co-worker told me she learned quite a bit through 23TOAS. And that she uses the knowledge she gained often both at work and at home so I should snap out of it and open my mind (I did enjoy what the Iceman Rick Anderson had to say). She would have commented but she forgot her password or username-too many to keep track of. Will I eventually see the errors of my ways? Only time will tell.

No comments: